Accessibility and Contact Us
Close Icon
Close Icon
Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility

Check now for council tax reduction

West Lothian residents in properties banded E, F, G and H are being advised to check if they are eligible for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS).

13 April

Households in council tax bands E, F, G and H who earn around or below the median national income, which is £16,750 a year for single claimants without children or £25,000 a year for others, may be due a reduction in their bills.
To check if you qualify, please fill in the online form, which is available at .

You will need details of your National Insurance Number, Income, Savings and investments and the people who live with you to allow you to complete the online form.

You can also request a form via email at or by telephone on 01506 280000, or pick one from your local Customer Information Service centre. 

Leader of West Lothian Council Lawrence Fitzpatrick said: "We would encourage any West Lothian resident who lives in a property banded E, F, G and H and earns around or below the media national income to check if they are eligible.

"The CTRS could see your council tax bills reduced if you qualify."  

The Scottish Parliament passed legislation with effect from 1 April 2017 that changed the way Council Tax for properties in bands E, F, G and H was calculated. The change meant that the Council Tax charged for these properties increased whilst the charge for properties in bands A, B, C and D stayed the same.

At the same time there was a change to the Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) to include a new relief which, for those households that qualify, will exempt them from the increase altogether or reduce the amount of the increase.

The relief under CTRS is intended to exempt households with incomes at median level or below from the increase. The median income figures used by the Scottish Government are £321 a week, (£16,750 a year) for single claimants without children, and £479 a week, (£25,000 a year) for others.

Those households with income just above the median level may still qualify for a reduction in the amount of the increase. 
To qualify for a reduction, a person must; 

•    be liable for Council Tax
•    make an application for CTRS
•    be eligible for CTRS 
•    not have capital over £16,000 (unless on a passporting benefit). 
•    have a total household income below or near the median level of £16,750 a year for single claimants without children or £25,000 a year for others.

Households already in receipt of CTRS and their property is in band E to H do not need to apply as their CTRS award already takes account of the increase in Council Tax charges.
Please note that the relief under the CTRS cannot be greater than the extra amount of council tax charged due to the increase. 

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon