Accessibility and Contact Us
Close Icon
Close Icon
Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility

Applying for licences for events

West Lothian Council has issued a reminder if you are organising a community event that you may require a number of licences or permits from the council.

24 January
WLC Logo Placeholder image

These events may require a temporary public entertainment licence; an occasional licence to sell alcohol, street trader's or market operator's licence, permission to hold a procession or to collect money for charity.

To ensure that applications are able to be determined in plenty of time before your event it is important that applications for appropriate licences are made within the strict timescales required by legislation.

It is often the case that there are no legal grounds for allowing late applications to be processed and it is very unfortunate when late applications for community events have to be rejected. 

Applicants should consider the following guidance to ensure that licences are applied for in plenty of time before events take place:

  • ensure that you consider carefully which types of licences may be needed for your event as early as possible and apply for licences for all activities which you think may be happening, if parts of the event don't take place that isn't a problem but unlicensed activities may be a crime;  
  • apply at least 4 months in advance of the event, late applications are very unlikely to be able to be processed;
  • ensure that you read the guidance notes carefully before submitting your form and apply on the most up to date form which is available on the council's website;
  • double check the form before submitting it to ensure that it is complete, signed by the right person and that all the required documents are enclosed;
  • ensure you submit the form as explained in the guidance notes, they can't be given to elected members or council staff;
  • if you don't receive an acknowledgment of your application within 21 days please contact the Licensing Team to check that it has been received 

Information on what type of events require licences and permits is available via the West Lothian Council website




Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon