Footway widening (package 1), parking suspensions (package 2) and bus stop boarder works (package 8) have been completed in Linlithgow, Bathgate, Whitburn and West Calder. The site in East Calder will be completed before Christmas and the remaining sites in Mid Calder Uphall and Kirknewton will be completed in January 2021.
The final package of work to install new advisory cycle lanes (package 4) will commence in January. These works involve introducing advisory street cycle lanes in Linlithgow, Broxburn and Blackridge. These will be installed in the following roads:
- Linlithgow - Edinburgh Road from the railway bridge eastwards to St. Magdalenes and St. Ninian's Road from the West Port northwards to the M8 Motorway bridge.
- Broxburn - Newhouse Road westwards to Easter Road. This existing cycle lanes will be enhanced to provide segregation.
- Blackridge - Westrigg Way westwards to Blackridge Primary School
Three locations of temporary waiting restrictions will come into force from 14 January and will cover the following sections of road:
- Blackridge, A89 Main Street - On its north side from extended east kerbline of Drummond Place eastwards for a distance of 15 metres or thereby.
- Blackridge, Drummond Place - On its east side from its junction with A89 Main Street northwards for a distance of 10 metres or thereby.
- Linlithgow, B9080 Edinburgh Road - On its north side from a point 38 metres or thereby east of the east kerbline of High Port for a distance of 58 metres or thereby eastwards.
It is anticipated that the cycle lane works will be completed in February 2021 which will see work on the installation of the nine packages of measures for the Spaces for People programme come to an end.
Executive councillor for the Environment Tom Conn said: "The Spaces for People programme has always been about increasing opportunities for active travel allowing all pedestrians, road users and drivers to use our roads and walkways whilst keeping a safe social distance.