At Winter Ready West Lothian there are details of our policy on gritting and community salt pile locations as well as advice on keeping homes safe from burst pipes, cold weather benefits, warm welcome locations and travel safety during severe weather.
News of gritting actions are published on the council's social media platforms when treatment is deemed necessary and significant. Real time gritting information is available on our gritter tracker.
Throughout the winter, the council monitor specialist forecast data to decide when and where gritting is needed. The council cannot treat every path and every road simultaneously and must prioritise routes.
You can view and learn more about the gritting routes and public paths on the council's website but gritting is prioritised on primary routes including 'A', 'B' and some 'C' roads, main roads in the vicinity of schools, access roads to hospitals, ambulance depots, main police stations and fire stations, and main bus routes. When severe weather is forecast, these routes are treated before the morning and evening rush and, if necessary, again overnight.
The M8 & M9 motorways are maintained by the Scottish Government.
Community salt stocks are currently available at:
- Armadale, Garage Site at McNeil Crescent
- Bathgate, Xcite, Torphichen Road
- Bathgate (Wester Inch), Car park adjacent to play area in Leyland Road
- Blackburn, Partnership Centre, Ash Grove
- Blackridge, Craig Inn Community Centre, Main Street
- Bridgend, Car park at community centre
- Broxburn, Xcite, Church Street
- Craigshill, Tower Public House car park, Adelaide Street
- East Calder, Xcite, Langton Road
- Ecclesmachan, Oatridge College access road
- Eliburn, Livingston North Train Station (South Car Park)
- Fauldhouse, Eastfield Road car park near the bottle banks
- Greenrigg, Polkemmet Drive garage site
- Kirknewton, Sports pavilion
- Linlithgow, Xcite, McGinley Way
- Livingston Village, Car park at rear of Livingston Inn
- Murieston, Livingston South Train Station car park
- Newton, Community Education Centre
- Threemiletown, B9080 opposite Rosebank
- Torphichen, Community Centre, Bowyett
- West Calder, Business Centre, Dickson Street
- Westfield, North end of Strathlogie
- Whitburn, Xcite, Jubilee Road
- Wilkieston, Linburn Park
- Winchburgh, Community Centre, Craigton Place