04 June
UK General Election graphic

However, voters are reminded there are a number of options available to them to ensure they can still cast their vote even if they won't be in the country come 4 July.

Firstly, you need to be registered to vote. Registering to vote will mean you are on the Electoral Register and will be able to attend a polling station and vote in person.

Anyone who is not registered to vote should visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote or call the Lothian Electoral Registration Office on 0131 344 2500. Please note the deadline for voter registration is midnight on Tuesday 18 June.

Anyone who is registered to vote in this by election can apply to vote by post. Applications for new postal votes (including postal proxy votes where someone else submits the postal vote on your behalf) or changes to postal vote details must be made by 5pm on Wednesday 19 June 2024.

Applications for changes to existing postal or proxy votes must be made by 5pm on Wednesday 19 June 2024.

You can now apply for a postal vote online at https://www.gov.uk/apply-postal-vote?step-by-step-nav=ff81c31c-3282-49df-85a4-013887130110

The first day that a replacement for a lost or undelivered postal vote can issued is Friday 28 June.   If you will be away before that date then consider whether you wish to appoint a proxy instead.  

A proxy vote is when you appoint a nominated person to vote on your behalf  either in person or by post.

If you are already registered for a proxy vote but need to make changes to your details then this must be done by 5pm on Wednesday 26 June 2024.

Applications for new proxy votes (except for emergencies) must also be made by 5pm on Wednesday 26 June 2024.

Applications for emergency proxy votes can be made until 5pm on polling day (4 July 2024).

You can now apply for a proxy vote online at https://www.gov.uk/apply-proxy-vote?step-by-step-nav=ff81c31c-3282-49df-85a4-013887130110

Applications for both postal and proxy votes can also be made to the Electoral Registration Officer at www.lothian-vjb.gov.uk  or by sending complete applications to 17A South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh EH12 9FL or calling 0131 344 2500.